Learning should be an experience enjoyed first-hand. For this reason, in order to upgrade education, it is necessary to include games and gamification as tools to become a motivating factor in the classroom, changing the way in which knowledge is presented and discovered and how it is applied in real life learning environments.
This master’s degree offers all the tools required to provide an educational transformation experience through games. On the one hand, it provides the necessary theoretical knowledge, geared towards the teaching practice. On the other hand, it displays the best educational experiences and makes their creators available so that the students can learn them, ask everything they need in order to replicate them and resolve all their queries directly in first person.
Finally, it offers the students an experience of continuous creation by means of on-site sessions, monthly challenges and highly personal tutoring with the teachers who have created or used the tools.
The course has been designed to ensure that it is a good learning experience, providing the ingredients from the best games. The participating students will thus obtain tools, resources, ideas and the practice required to acquire good learning and the motivation necessary to ensure it is enjoyed as a great game-related experience.
This master’s degree is taught exclusively in SPANISH. The syllabus has a series of subjects divided into modules. In order to ensure that the students’ experience is optimal, it has been structured as follows:Remote sessions
There will be weekly classes presenting theoretical contents to reflect on how to use games in learning environments and design bases for the games, the narrative and player psychology useful for the creation of applied games and gamified experiences. There will also be classes on the history of games and video games to increase the students’ knowledge on this subject.
- Each month there will be three videos with experiences, explained by the teachers who have carried them out, and a webinar in which questions can be asked and students can learn everything required to apply in the classroom.
- Digital tools, role-plays and board games will also be presented to enable the students to discover specific resources and a challenge tutored by active teachers allowing the students to adapt one of these games to their reality.
- Sessions that will be held at weekends (all day Saturday and until lunchtime on Sunday). There will be one session per month.
- They will be completely practical sessions. There will be creative challenges that will have to be resolved in groups and, during the course, there will be a GameJam where tools will be generated to provide answers for specific needs involving the ENTI-UB students.
- The theory necessary to follow the classes will be covered during the remote sessions.
- The evaluationGreat importance will be given to reflecting on the educational application of what has been learnt in the theoretical sessions, with the intention of creating a community involving the teachers and students to generate debate, to see how the knowledge can be applied to life in the classroom and, ultimately, to generate a learning portfolio created by each of the students.All the creations made by the students will generate a file that will be released, so that it can be shared by the educational community.And, finally, the students will have to present their Master's Final Dissertation) in which they will have to apply everything they have learnt during the course to a real case.
Subjects and Teaching Staff
- Learning through games: the student as a player and creator.
- Analysis of the potential of game and gamification experiences.
- Evaluation of games and gamification applied to educational environments
- Psychology of the game and the player
- Game design principles
- Games applied to education
- History of games and video games
- History of games applied to learning processes
- Game typologies
- The concept of gamification
- Game design applied to the creation of gamification proposals
- Application of gamification in educational contexts Examples and models
- Basic concepts of design thinking
- Laboratories for the creation of games and gamified processes
- Techniques and resources to promote creative processes
- Digital tools applied to the GBL and EG
- Development of critical thinking regarding their use
- Knowledge of the main tools of narrative language
- Application of these tools to different educational environments
Anna Maria Viñas
Anna Palencia y Carlota Hernández (2 teachers in trouble)
Dani Gómez Blanco
David Díaz (Detective Papaya)
Josep Maria Allué
Manu Sánchez Montero
Oscar de Paula
Víktor Bautista i Roca
Lluís CrosTere Longueira
Access and Career Opportunities
In designing this master’s degree, we have taken into account that it may constitute specialisation for anyone wanting to devote their time to education or training at any level (from childhood education to training in work environments) and anyone wishing to use games as a work tool in environments linked to culture and socio-cultural animation.
ENTI's own regulations (Escola de Noves Tecnologies Interactives - School of New Interactive Technologies):
- Degree Dissertation Regulations
- Master’s Final Dissertation Regulations
- Criteria for the resolution of transfer applications
- Applications for recognition of credits due to changes in studies
- Policy and Quality Agency of the UB (AQUB in its Catalan initials)
- Admission to undergraduate education (UB)
- Minimum grades (UB)
- Recognition of ECTS credits in relation to similar Advanced Vocational Training
Course calendar: 25 September 2019 to 28 June 2020.
Face-to-face sessions at weekends.
Timetable: Saturdays from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm to 7:30 pm and Sundays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Dates: 5-6 Oct, 2-3 Nov, 30 Nov-1 Dec, 14-15 Dec, 11-12 Jan, 8-9 Feb, 7-8 Mar, 18-19 Apr, 9-10 May, 30 May-1 June.