The School of New Interactive Technologies affiliated with the University of Barcelona (ENTI-UB) was created to contribute to the growth and consolidation of the cluster of video games and Serious games that is spreading around Barcelona and other cities in Catalonia. At present, with a contrasted experience in academic and professional contexts, ENTI, jointly with the University of Barcelona and the Barça Innovation Hub, have designed the Master of Science and Technology in Football.
Our program, integrates two sources of knowledge:
- Sport foundations: coming from Futbol Club Barcelona, the club that pioneered an associative and combinative method of play for Team Sports.
- Scientific foundations: inspired from the Center for the Ecological Study of Perception and Action (CESPA, University of Connecticut), the niche of Ecological Physics
All the contents will lead our students to an INNOVATIVE APPROACH TO THE STUDY AND UNDERSTANDING OF FOOTBALL AND TEAM SPORTS IN GENERAL.
Students of this master will deep into the fundamental research questions to spur progress on different areas of knowledge:
- The complex sciences for the study of football: SCIENCE
- The most adequate technologies for measuring processes in football: TECHNOLOGY
- The game’s ontology and epistemology to apply cutting edge science and tech discoveries onto the real game play: FOOTBALL
This is a unique master’s program. The team sports body of knowledge comes from Futbol Club Barcelona, the club that pioneered an associative and combinative method of play and that today constitutes one of the most well-known football hubs worldwide. From in-depth knowledge of football, the members of this Master’s degree will conduct research (by using Technological tools) to apply new knowledge to training improvements, in the value systems of their team and of their rivals.
Perception and action in sport: Theoretical implications of several scientific approaches for the study of dynamic behavior like the game of football will be reviewed. Also, a new paradigm of study to understand football will be proposed based on FCB’s case of success and inspired in ecological psychology concepts.
Complex systems and football: This course is an introduction to models of nonlinear dynamics and mathematical modeling for the study of complex systems’ behavior like those encountered in team sports, i.e., football.
Design and methodology in behavioral sciences for team sports: The research method will be presented as the means by which research on football has been conducted. Exploration of alternative methods for the case of team sports will be also introduced.
Statistics in behavioral sciences in team sports: This course is intended to provide an introduction to basic statistics needed to conduct research in sports. Throughout the course there will be an emphasis on both fundamental statistical concepts as well as on practical data analysis skills.
Design and development of virtual and interactive environment: knowledge on gamification and virtual and augmented environments as current technology to be applied in the different fields of football industry
Big data, artificial intelligence and technology in football: The primary focus of this course is to provide students with skills to manage various sports data genres (event data, tracking data, internal load data, etc…) understanding the best tools to analyze Big Data using predictive analytics techniques suitable for sports.
Training methodology in team sports: In this course students will acquire the necessary skills to plan and program trainings to prepare the competition. Based on the innovative practices at FCB, this course will help students to gain a wide range of unique techniques to improve training methodologies in football.
Injury prevention and return to play process in football: The course aims at providing a breadth of knowledge on how to address injury prevention and return to play in football. This will also facilitate an understanding of the key factors of these areas to innovate on science, technology and training methodologies in football.
Supervised Externship: Organizations from the sports, science and technology industries will offer the possibility to apply the acquired knowledge during the master’s program into their working settings. This will expose students to participate in professional projects and its execution.
Master’s Thesis: This project requires students to integrate the several scientific and/or technological skills to prove that their level of excellence has been acquired through the different areas of writing, defending, and disseminating research and/or new products creation.
Master addressed to:
- Return to play coaches
- Computer scientitsts
- Return to play coaches
- Strength and conditioning coaches
- Physical therapists
- Professionals of virtual environments
- Dr. Daniel Romero. Strength and Conditioning Coach at Futbol Club Barcelona; Professor at EUSES (University School of Health and Sport, University of Girona).
- Dr. Maurici Abraham López Felip, Ph. D. Research Consultant at F.C. Barcelona; Research Fellow at The Center for the Ecological Study of Perception and Action (CESPA – University of Connecticut).
INTERNATIONAL PROFESSORS & RESEARCH COLLABORATORS
- Dr. James Dixon, PhD Professor at the Department of Psychological Science at the University of Connecticut and Director at CESPA.
- Dr. Till Frank, PhD Associate Professor at the Department of Psychological Science and Physics Department at the University of Connecticut.
- Dr. Steven Harrison, PhD Assistant Professor at the Kinesiology Department at the University of Connecticut.
- Dr. Adam W. Kiefer. Assistant Professor at Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of North Caroline at Chapel Hill.
- Dr. Tehran Davis, Assistant Professor at the Psychology Department, University of Cincinnati.
- Dr. Ferran Vidal-Codina, PhD Research Scientist at the Aero/Astro Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Dr. Vish Unnithan, PhD Professor of Pediatric Exercise Physiology, University of the West of Scotland.
- Dr. James Vaughan, PhD Research Director of Development at AIK Solna, Stockholm.
- Dr. Luca Pappalardo, PhD Data Scientist at the Department of Computer Science, National Research Council of Italy (CNR).
- Dr. Javier Martín Buldú, PhD Principal Investigator of the Laboratory of Biological Networks at the Center for Biomedical Technology.
LOCAL PROFESSORS & RESEARCH COLLABORATORS
- Dr. Eduard Alentorn. Orthopaedic surgeon at the Hospital Quirónsalud Barcelona; Research Scientist at the Garcia Cugat Foundation.
- Dr. Martí Casals, PhD. Lecturer in the Bachelor’s Degree in Sport Science at EUSES. Sports Statistician/Biostatistician at the Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Health Sciences and Well-being at the University de Vic – Universitat Central de Catalunya.
- Dr. Josep Maria Padullés. Associate Professor at the National Institute of Physical Education of Catalonia (INEFC) at the University of Barcelona; Founder of the Chronojump Boscosystem (®).
- Dr. Alexander Latinjak. Lecturer at the University of Suffolk; Professor at EUSES (University School of Health and Sport, University of Girona).
- Dr. David Blanco, Research Scientist at the Grup de Recerca en Bioestadística i Bioinformàtica, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya.
- Dr. Oliver Gonzalo. Return to play and strength coach at Sevilla FC; Professor at San Jorge University (Zaragoza, Spain).
- Dr. Xavier Gil. Chemical Scientist and Biomaterial Scientist. Rector of the International University of Catalonia (Barcelona).
- Dr. Joan Llobera, PhD is a researcher at the intersection of virtual reality and cognitive sciences. He does research as a post-doc at Mel Slater’s lab (universitat de barcelona) and teaches at ENTI-UB
Dr. Isidro Navarro, PhD Architect, Associated Professor at the School of Architecture of Barcelona ETSAB, UPC. Researcher in New Visualization Technologies
Benefits and skills
- Official master offered by the University of Barcelona*
- Professional environment related to football (classes provided both at the University and FCB facilities)
- Lectures provided by both science, technology and football experts from different professional areas.
- Innovative content from merging two areas of knowledge (scientific and professional)
- Academic training for the creation of new opportunities and products within the football industry
- Scientific capability to be applied in all professional areas of football industry
- Specific comprehension of football in the technical, tactical and conditioning areas
- Application of ecological psychology foundations for the understanding of the game of football
- Interpretation of big data in sports
- Language: English
*The Master gives direct access to enroll in International Doctoral Programs